Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shrimp Scampi and Vegetable Tossed Linguini

                        Shrimp Scampi and Vegetable Tossed Linguini
The photo does not do this dish justice.
I have tried lots of scampi recipes, over the years, in search of the right combination. This is the best one I have every tasted. It's a variation of the Barefoot Contessa's recipe. I cut back on the butter, and changed the herbs to suit my taste. I serve this with a vegetable tossed pasta, that reflects the flavor of the scampi.
I prepare the scampi, earlier in the day, then refrigerate, uncooked. I cook it when the pasta is almost ready. I like to bake it in a skillet. It's the perfect size, and is easy to transfer from the oven to the broiler. I bake the bread, just before I begin the pasta. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but a glass of pinot grigio was amazing with this.

Ingredients:
For the Scampi
2lbs. raw, medium shrimp-peeled and deveined
salt and pepper-to taste
3Tbl. dry white wine- I used pinot  grigio
1/2stick softened butter
2Tbl. minced garlic
1very small onion-minced
1Tbl. parsley
1/8tsp. cracked fennel
1/8tsp. basil
1/4tsp. pepper flakes
zest of 1 small lemon
juice from 1/2 of a lemon- I use the other half for the pasta dish

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 425*
Put the shrimp in a bowl. Salt and pepper, to taste, then add the wine and toss.
Let it marinate while you're making the herb butter.
Combine the rest of the ingredients, to make an herb butter.
Arrange the shrimp in the skillet.( photo below), and pour the remaining marinade over them.
Crumble the herb butter over the shrimp.
Bake 12 minutes, then transfer it to the broiler. Broil 1 or 2  minutes to brown lightly.

For the Vegetable tossed pasta:
1lb. fettuccine
1/2 stick of butter
1tsp. minced garlic
1/4tsp. cracked fennel
1/4tsp. basil
1Tbl. dried parsley
juice from half of a lemon
I green bell pepper- thin sliced, then halve the slices
1red onion- thin sliced, then halve the slices
2 portabella mushrooms-cut up
2Tbl. dry white wine
salt and pepper-to taste
1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Begin cooking the pasta, according to package directions.
Once you have added the pasta to the boiling water, cook the vegetables.
In a skillet, melt the butter, add the garlic, herbs, and lemon juice.
Add the bell pepper and onion, and saute until the peppers are beginning to soften.
This is when I start cooking the scampi.
Add the mushrooms, and saute until they sweat.
Add the wine and cook 1 minute more. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn the burner off.
Drain the pasta. Add the Parmesan to the vegetables, toss. Add the drained pasta, and toss well, to coat.

For the Soft herbed mini loaves
1 recipe of soft parmesan garlic sourdough bread
Allow the dough to rise until double, shape into 14 mini loaves, smother with the herb butter, let rise again, and bake until lightly browned.

     Salt and pepper the shrimp, add the wine and marinate a few minutes.

                                       Combine the herb butter.
   Arrange the shrimp in a skillet, pour the remaining marinade over them.

Crumble the herb butter, over the shrimp, refrigerate until ready to bake.







1 comment:

  1. I'd be happy to, I love the Idea for your blog!. Thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete