Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mongolian Beef

                                             Mongolian Beef

I Love The Golden Dragon's Mongolian beef. No other restaurant, tastes like their version. I have tried every recipe I've found, for this dish, plus did a little experimenting of my own, to duplicate theirs, But no real success. Until now..

Emily Koh over at emylogues is fast becoming my favorite foodie. I've tried several of her recipes, all were very good. Such an amazing cook, at a young age, I'm more than, impressed! Here's her link for Mongolian beef 

I added more dark brown sugar, and forgot to buy mushrooms, so I used canned. Is it just me, or do grocers, no longer stock, dark brown sugar? (I added 1/4tsp. molasses to 1/2Tbl. light brown sugar to make, dark brown sugar). The molasses is a very important component of this dish, you don't want to leave it out.

Ingredients:
For the marinade: This made the beef very tender
1 pound flank steak, (sirloin, or round works well too)- very thin sliced
2Tbl. kikkoman's soy sauce
1-1/2Tbl. cornstarch
1/2Tbl. dark brown sugar

You'll also need:
2Tbl. oil
4oz. fresh mushrooms-sliced
1/2 a bunch of green onions-cut into 1inch sections.
1/2tsp. grated ginger- I used 1/4tsp. pureed
2-1/2Tbl. kikkoman's soy sauce
1/2tsp. minced garlic
2Tbl water
1Tbl. dark brown sugar

Preparation:
Combine the beef and marinade ingredients, in a bowl. let stand 2 hours.
Heat the oil in a skillet. fry the steak, until almost done.
Add the mushrooms and green onions, and and fry until the mushrooms sweat.
Add the ginger, 2-1/2Tbl. soy sauce, garlic, water and 1Tbl. dark brown sugar.
Fry a few minutes longer, until the sauce thickens. Serve over rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment