Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My First Cornish Pasties




Gerry, over at Foodness Gracious posted his recipe for Cornish Pasties, that looked so good, I had to try it. I had intended to follow his instructions, to the letter, being my first attempt, and all. But, at the last minute, I had four more guests, for dinner. So now, I had to stretch 1lb. of steak, to feed eight. I just added a few more veggies, added diced brussel sprouts, and  made 2 more pastry recipes, I also exchanged the rosemary, for basil and thyme, adding minced garlic. Wow, they were so flaky, and tasted awesome! I'm making these again, next week! Thanks Gerry!

One minor problem though, two of the grandkids, would not even try them. I think the pastry was a bit intimidating, for them. "I don't like crust" was the explanation, I got from 5 year old Emily...3 year old Zach piped in " My Nana (The other grandmother) is a good cook"  I said "Oh ya, what did she make you" He said "Hot dogs, Mac and cheese..." I didn't hear the rest, I was too busy laughing. But, I didn't want to say anything mean about his Nana, so I just added " Oooh, she makes them really good , huh"
Whisks at dawn, Nana!

Ingredients for the pastry: Makes 4
2cups flour
1/2tsp. salt
1 stick of cold real butter-diced
6Tbl. ice water
Preparation:
Mix the flour and salt in a bowl, rub in the butter, until coarse.
Add the ice water, and blend in by hand (adding more, if needed), until you have a  firm dough. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

For the filling:
1/2lb. new york strip steak-diced
1/2tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2tsp. minced garlic
1/8tsp. basil
1/8tsp. thyme
 1Tsp. red wine

1potato- diced
1 carrot diced
4 brussel sprouts-diced
1cup onion-diced
1tsp. flour
salt and pepper-to taste
1 beaten egg

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 400*
Take the pastry, out of the fridge, and separate into 4 equal pieces.
Roll them into a 6-inch circle, about the size of a saucer.
Put all the vegetables in a bowl.
Combine the steak, vinegar, garlic and spices, in a small bowl.
Heat a skillet until it's very hot, add the steak mixture and sear about 20 seconds.
Add the steak to the bowl of vegetables, along with the flour. Stir to combine.
Put about a cup of the mixture, not too much, or it won't stay sealed. Add salt and pepper. (One of mine split open)
Pull two sides toward the center, and pinch to seal, the pastry.
Place them on a cookie sheet, and brush with the egg.
Bake until golden brown. Sorry, I was too busy chatting, and forgot to time them.

                           Lucy, looking for a place to hide her pasty.






No comments:

Post a Comment