Monday, June 25, 2012

Homeade Garam Masala- seasoning

Garam Masala

Back when I began to learn to cook Indian food, I could not find many of the ingredients.
Luckily I found recipes, to make them myself. I have since, started using blended bottles from the spice section.  My small town is moving up, I actually found smoked paprika a few weeks ago. I'm posting the recipe I used to use. It may come in handy for somebody.

Ingredients:
1 cinnamon stick- broken into 3-4 pieces
8 dried bird chilies
5Tbl. coriander seeds
2Tbl. cumin seeds
2tsp. cardamom seeds
1tsp. fennel seeds
1tsp. black mustard seeds
2tsp. black peppercorns
1 tsp whole cloves

Preparation:
Heat a skillet on a very low flame and dry-fry the cinnamon stick and chilies for about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining spices and continue to cook (stirring or shaking constantly) for about 8 minutes, or until they give off a strong aroma.
Remove from heat and cool completely.
Place in a spice grinder, and grind into a fine powder. It's ready to use.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months


No comments:

Post a Comment