Monday, July 9, 2012

My Favorite Pasta Salad

  I love this with Fried Chicken and Biscuits, or Bavarian Ham sandwiches.

Now that the heatwave is over, I'm craving pasta salad and oatmeal cookies. So I'm making both this week. I'm working on an oatmeal pie idea, if it turns out well I'll post it later.
There are 2 pasta salads my family makes. One is my Mothers, The other is my Dad's Mother's. Both are really good, but his is my favorite. I'll post the other, later in the week. Whenever I take this to a potluck, I'm bombarded with requests for Mom's recipe.
I like to chop everything as small as I can get it, so it's dispersed throughout the salad, and you get a little of everything, in every bite. While it's chilling, the processed cheese dissolves somewhat and becomes part of the base. Stir before serving.

Ingredients:
6 hard boiled eggs- peeled and chopped
1 green bell pepper- minced
3Tbl. minced onion- I use yellow
2 cups minced roma tomatoes- about 5
1-1/2 cups processed cheese-cubed (the kind in a box such as Velveeta, but I prefer generic)
1Tbl. sugar
1tsp. salt
1/2tsp. pepper
2-3cups Miracle Whip-(to taste)
1/2 cup water (the macaroni will absorb this)
2lbs macaroni- cooked and chilled under cold running water.

Preparation:
Combine everything except the macaroni, mix well.
Add the macaroni, mix and chill. Stir before serving.


I cook the macaroni first, drain it, and let cold water run into the colander, until the macaroni is cold.
Put the colander in a pan and fill it with cold water. Then I begin chopping.

Add everything except the macaroni to a very large bowl, mix well to combine.


Drain the macaroni and add it to the bowl, mix well, cover and chill. I usually make this the night before, but 1or2 hrs. would be enough to combine the flavors. If it becomes dry, stir in a little water to moisten.



No comments:

Post a Comment