Saturday, July 14, 2012

Burnt Sugar Syrup

                 Burnt Sugar Syrup is used in a lot of Caribbean recipes.
It is very simple to make. Please use caution, the worst burn I ever had, came from caramelizing sugar.
The sugar will smoke in this process, especially near the end. You want it to become as dark as molasses.

Ingredients:
1/4cup sugar
1/4 cup cold water

Add the sugar to a skillet, and heat on a medium-high flame. Keep whisking throughout the entire process.

                                  The sugar is beginning to liquify.

The sugar is beginning to caramelize, keep stirring in the little bits around the edges, so they can dissolve too.

Once it becomes black, remove the pan from the heat. Pour in the cold water. It will foam up, I wait until I see the foam recede a bit, then whisk to combine. Cool completely before using. It can be reheated a bit if it thickens too much. I think I could have darkened this a bit more.



No comments:

Post a Comment