Wednesday, September 12, 2012

White Sourdough Rye Bread

My rating: really like it
                                      White Sourdough Rye Bread

I love rye bread, but I was looking for a way, to make a softer rye loaf. I started by making a loaf, from a rye sourdough starter. But that was still not soft enough, Then I decided, to use my Soft sourdough bread recipe, as a base. That was what I was looking for. So here's the result. A nice mild rye flavor, ground caraway seeds, and a soft, dense loaf.

1cup sourdough starter
3/4cup sour cream or buttermilk
2Tbl. butter-melted
1pkg. dry yeast
1tsp. sugar
1/2tsp. salt
1Tbl. caraway seeds-ground in a spice grinder
1-1/2cups rye flour
1-1/2cups all purpose flour

 Preparation:
In a large bowl, mix together everything except the flours.
Stir in the rye flour with a spoon, beat into a batter.
Add the all purpose flour, kneading in enough so it's not sticky. Knead 3-5 minutes more, into a smooth dough.
Turn into an oiled bowl, flipping twice, cover and let rise until doubled. About 2-3 hours.
Punch down, and place it in a greased loaf pan. Cut a few slits in the loaf, if you prefer.
Let rise until double again. About 1 hour.
Bake at 375* until lightly browned. About 30 minutes. I like to butter the top of the loaf, right after it come out of the oven.

Because of the rye flour, this dough is very slow to rise, I usually let it rise 2-3 hours.

After it rises, punch it down, and place it in a greased loaf pan. Let rise 1 hour.

                        Bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment