Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp - a work in progress

Rhubarb Crisp- a work in progress. The perfect combination of sweet/tart

One of my grandmothers, made a dessert, in the fall, that I absolutely adored. It consisted of rhubarb and strawberry jello, topped with a crunchy topping. I never got the recipe for it, but I found this one at 'All Recipes' that looked really similar. (Although I think Grandma cooked the rhubarb, first) It is really close, definitely the right flavor, but needs a few adjustments. It was too sweet, and needed more topping, since the rhubarb gives off a lot of juices. If you have rhubarb in the garden, and nothing to use it on, this is definitely, one to experiment on. I think I'm going to grow more, next spring.



Original recipe:
5cups rhubarb-sliced into 1/2-inch pieces ( about 14 stems of various thickness)
1pkg. strawberry jello
1/2c flour
1/2csugar
1/2cup brown sugar
1/2tsp. cinnamon
1/4cup butter
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 375*
Put the rhubarb, in an 8x8 baking dish, sprinkle the dry jello over the rhubarb.
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, until crumbly.
Sprinkle the mixture over the rhubarb, and bake about 45 minutes, or until the topping begins to brown.


Batch #2 I tripled the topping, which was the perfect amount, but I cut the sugar back, to 1/4 cup...not sweet enough. I've forgotten, how fast rhubarb grows. I cut all the stems off, for my first batch, two weeks later, I had enough for another batch...from one plant.
Batch #2 topping
1-1/2cups flour
1/4cup brown sugar
1tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup butter

Next time, I'll increase the sugar to 1/2cup brown sugar. We may have a frost this week, so I might have to wait until the next growing season.







No comments:

Post a Comment