Thursday, October 25, 2012

Green Tomato Crisp- A great dessert


Most years, my tomato plants are just, plain worn out, by the time a good frost, comes along. So I don't usually have an over-abundance, of green tomatoes. This year, I have tons. What to do, with all these tomatoes...
I'm not in the mood for, fried green tomatoes. It's apple season, so why waste them on, mock apple pie. I already made chow-chow.
Then, I thought of the rhubarb recipe I'm working on. This turned out, just as good, my new favorite green tomato recipe.

Ingredients:
4-5cups diced green tomatoes
1package strawberry jello
In an 8x8-inch baking dish, stir together the green tomatoes and dry jello. Spread the topping over it, and bake at 375* for about 45-minutes, or until, crisp and bubbly. Cool and serve.

For the topping:
1-1/2cups flour
1/2cup brown sugar
1tsp. cinnamon
3/4cup cold butter
Whisk together, the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter, with a pastry cutter, until crumbly.

Stir together, the green tomatoes and jello.
Spread the topping over it and bake 45-minutes.
The last rose of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment