Monday, October 29, 2012

Homemade French Fries

Homemade French Fries

When I was a very little, my Dad cooked for a restaurant, that made it's own fries, and later became a large, renown, fast food chain. This is how he taught me to make restaurant-style crispy fries.

potatoes-peeled, sliced into fries
1tsp. salt
1tsp. sugar
cold water

Peel and cut the potatoes. Cover them with cold water, and let stand 30-minutes. This removes a lot of starch, which will make them more crispy. Since I'm using these for Poutine, I cut them larger.

Dump the potatoes in a colander, and rinse well. Add 1tsp. salt and 1tsp. sugar, to a bowl, add the rinsed potatoes, and cover with cold water. Give it a stir, and refrigerate. A few hours would probably be enough, but I'm soaking them overnight. I'm not sure what the purpose of the salt and sugar are, but I'm guessing it has something to do with browning. Dad made great fries, I remember his saying, the longer they soak, the better they are.

Drain them and pat dry. I let them stand about 30-minutes, then dried them again, before frying in corn oil, on a medium flame.


No comments:

Post a Comment