Saturday, June 23, 2012

Boolvo Souvlaki- Greek Grilled Beef

                  Boolvo Souvlaki,  Kolokithokeftedes and Loukoumathes


In Greece, pork is traditionally used for Soulvaki.
There are specific marinades that the Greek use, for each type of meat.
I'll be posting the pork version soon. This is not one of my favorite marinades, I'm not a big fan of rosemary, or using white wine in cooking. (red is great)
But everyone else seemed to love it.
My 3 year old grandson Zach, was very curious about what I was doing with the "pokeys" (skewers) as I was threading the beef. I explained I was going to cook steak on the grill. He ran to the other kids yelling, "Grama's makin' pokey steak!"

Ingredients:
2lbs. beef cut into large cubes
1 gallon storage bag
skewers

For the marinade:
1/4cup oil
1cup white wine
1tsp. minced garlic
1/8tsp. black pepper
1tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1/2tsp. oregano
1/4tsp. rosemary
juice of 1 lemon

Preparation:
Whisk the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup for basting.
Add the beef and the remaining  marinade to the bag. remove the air, seal and refrigerate overnight.
If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for a few hours before grilling, to keep them from burning.Grill according to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment