Friday, June 29, 2012

Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

                                       Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes

I was planning on posting this along with a blueberry syrup recipe, but I forgot to add the blueberries to my shopping list. I guess I'll save that for another day. My favorite way to eat pancakes is with a little butter and homemade strawberry preserves.
If you want to make blueberry pancakes, drop a few frozen or fresh berries on the pancake, immediately after you pour it into the skillet.
This makes 12

Ingredients:
2cups flour
2Tbl. sugar
1Tbl baking powder
1/2tsp. baking soda
1/2tsp. salt
2cups buttermilk- (or add 2tsp. vinegar to a measuring cup, fill to the 2cup mark with milk. Let stand 15 minutes=Buttermilk)
2 eggs
2Tbl. melted butter
1tsp. vanilla

Preparation:
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter and vanilla.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture, and stir just enough to moisten.
It should be lumpy, too much stirring makes them tough and rubbery.
I use a small nonstick skillet, and cook one at a time.
Heat a tsp. of oil in a skillet or griddle, on a medium/low flame.
Using a soup ladle, pour the batter into the pan and shake the pan once, (otherwise the center will be puffier than the edges) 
When the pancake seems to be getting dry around the edges, flip and brown the other side.
Since I usually have to make a mountain of these, I butter them as soon as I pull them out of the pan.
Serve with your favorite topping.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mom was an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pancakes, definitely one of my favorite breakfast food. Looks delicious, following you now!

    ReplyDelete